Example solution 01
Reducing the weight of car parts that use high-strength steel pipe
- The car headrest weight needs to be reduced. A headrest requires the strength to satisfy strict standards, because it is an important part that reduces injury to the passenger’s head in an accident.
- Okajima Pipe’s answer
- 〈 Applied technology 〉
- Hollow the steel rod (rebar and other bar material) (to a steel pipe)
Propose to thin the walls of the steel pipe and use high-strength steel pipe
- Because no high-strength steel pipe satisfied the safety standards, a head rest stay made of a solid round bar was hollowed out (and high-strength steel pipe was used) to lighten the weight.
- We developed a high-strength steel pipe with the same diameter as the solid round bar, and successfully reduced costs by reducing the weight by 36% and abbreviating the pipe-making process.
- We thinned the thickness of pipe to reduce weight and produced a high-strength product that satisfied the safety standards.